This a change in the syllabus. Tuesday, Oct 4th is another ONLINE critique day. We'll look at the 2nd part of the Teen for Gospels 60 Minutes.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7361570n
As in the first part, you'll need to comment on the storytelling, the structure, the production techniques, and what parts struck a resonant chord with you.
Great job on the first part. Keep up the good work.
Part two of the story about Gospel for teens was very inspirational. It seemed as if the Christmas tree form of writing was used in this particular part. We followed David and the issue of violence, Gabrielle and the issue of not having parental support, and Rhonda with the issue of low self esteem. However, in this part we saw the outcome of the stories. We saw David “sing out” his troubles about losing his cousin, Gabrielle singing a touching song that related to her struggle, and Rhonda having the confidence to say her name. By using this approach, the audience was able to follow all of the student’s journeys and have sympathy for the struggle that they each went through.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I noticed was the use of music. I liked how they featured the program’s theme song underneath conversation of Gabrielle especially since it was said that “she needed to sing that song”. Also, hearing several other songs when Vy mentions how it captures you or that it was African American’s first right fit very well with the images.
Overall, the resonant chord was seeing the triumph of the students especially Gabrielle as she song a solo despite not having support form her parents or Rhonda screaming her name out with pride. Events like these are what stick with the audience.
The second part of this feature is a continuation of the first part, but also another story in itself. The first part is an introduction and progression, while the second part is the culmination and conclusion. The second part really bridges the two parts with story lines that continue through both, but the new aspect of the second piece gives the closure needed.
ReplyDeleteThe way CBS tells the story in the second part is totally different than the first part because of how emotions are involved, which in the prior part were not by Vy. The second part goes so deep into the stories of the young people to the point where you feel like you know them and the pain they are going through. The reading of the e-mail really hits you and you realize that this child has come to find a new way and a new life and strike a chord of hope and determination. Even though her parents did not care about her passion she still continued to strive and achieve what she wanted.
The way all the stories concluded give the viewer a sense of closure and a positive sense at that. You feel as if all the singers have achieved what they came there for and Vy has accomplished her task better than she had ever thought she could.
An interesting production technique is using the kids singing to help tell the story between sound bites. It keeps the piece moving and adds variety. They also let the music fade under the sound bites, which helps ad to the emotion of the interview and piece.
Great way to end a great feature.
The opening shot displayed David Moses, in his stable middle class home as the family eats and sings together. The close up of David’s father as he states ‘they can grow up and say that their father was right there.’ The focus on the song, “that you’re anything less than perfect” summarized the theme of the story. The close up shots seemed to show the growth of the individual singers or the empowerment that gospel gives them. The far-away shot of Gabby Francois showed where she had been in contrast to the close up shot of her with her hair always in a scarf had shown growth when she finally removed it. The removal of the shot with her head piece showed also showed the comfort and relief she gets from being part of the gospel group that fills a void of disappointment in her life.
ReplyDeleteThere were several resonant chords in this piece. One was when Gabby was able to read her email. Another, was when Vy asked how many of you have lost someone and the full shot of all the choir members raised their hands followed by the unraveling of several tragic and violet stories. Continuing to strike the resonate chord, Gabby sang solo to the audience and the absence of her parents however, Gabby still sang her heart out which was showed from a low to high angle as well as a close up. The final resonate chord was hit as the camera focused a wide shot of the choir members shouting their names with pride the zooming in on close ups Rhonda, Gabby, David, and Yolanda capturing the enthusiasm and confidence of the teenagers with and edit cut back to Vy showing the excitement she felt that Rhonda didn’t choke on her name.
The decision to use Vy’s voice over, when the choir added to the storytelling and also the choice of songs which told a story of most of the choir members. I believe this was more of the Christmas tree style of storytelling. This was also a feel- good tales-from-the-hood piece with a triumphant ending.
Loved part 2 of this compelling story. Again, the story structure had Vy in the center and all of the children surrounding that. Of course, the b-roll of them singing in the beginning was used very well to push the story forward. The most compelling part however, had to be towards the end of the piece when we got to see their last performance. Again, the music was very powerful and showed just how moving it can be. I loved how they got to shout their names at the end and the girl that had a hard time saying her name in the beginning shouted her name just as loud as everyone else.
ReplyDeleteYou feel a sense of triumph with them. And I think the b-roll of them singing is what achieved that. Vy’s last statement in the end was very compelling about how the music grabs you, because you do feel that throughout the piece. I also love how the kids got to reflect on how they felt while singing this music. Great piece!
The storytelling was great in that it focused on the trials that black teens have to go through. I like that it portrayed their emotion and got inside their personal lives by asking them about any family or friends that have been shot.
ReplyDeleteThe structure was set up well because it focused on different teens with their different stories but it all came together as a whole. I feel it was a Christmas tree structure.
I like how the voice over of the reporter talking gave an outline and narration of the story, and set up certain scenes that were coming up. The parts that I enjoyed and sparked a resonant chord were when the boy sang about his friend being killed. It allowed him to get his anger/emotions out through song. Also at the end, when they had the whole group singing at the event, I like how they all shouted out their names. I felt it made them realize that they are somebody and that they matter.
Also, how it ended by asking the teens a question was good. I think it finished on a positive note.
Okay so I just typed a super long post and some how it got deleted...................I am going to try to retype what I said.
ReplyDeleteThis half was as good as the first, I'm glad that we got to see Gabby's story. I wondered how such a powerful voice came out of someone he seemed so unenthusiastic. I would have never guessede it was because she was sneaking and hurting inside.
It was great to see her sing the theme song at the end. When she told her story it seemed like she may not have been feeling whole, but when she sang on the stage she sang as if she was whole, as if the gospel made her feel whole again.
The two major resonate chords for me were when almost everyone rose their hand about having lost a loved one and when David sang out his hurt from his cousin's murder. He sang so strong and with such emotion in his face I almost cried.
Another resonate chord from that area of the piece was when everyone told how they lost their loved ones. Everyone's loss was from unnecessary some form of violence.
I noticed they played with the music again in this half. When the theme song was being sang they allowed it to flow into the kids' stories as if it breathed new life into their story. I think it was mainly Yolanda's interview I noticed this in at first, but at the end when they were performing they did at as well. When Gabby, Rhonda, and David were praising the program music from their performance went under them. This felt like a new sense of positivity and joy was now added to their story. Especially Gabby's because the music came in as she said how great it was to be a part of the program.
One resonate chord I did not expect was when Vy spoke about how the right to sing was the first right Black people had. This was a powerful statement. I had never thought of it that way before, this made what the kids' were doing even more touching.
I loved the story and I am happy Vy has these kids focusing on postivity and spirituality instead of violence and the streets.
-Carrie Ford