Monday, November 7, 2011

Online Critique Assignment for Tuesday... Due by end of class 11/08

Here is a 3 minute piece that paints a profile of a person. No narration...just the voice of the person. What do you think? Is it compelling? Does it invite you in?

You might think about this approach for your last piece. Let the voice of your subject carry the piece.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/268435/cinelan-3-minute-stories-boy-in-a-dress

6 comments:

  1. The short clip was interesting, however, it left me wanting more of her/his story. How did she come to wear girl dresses and what gave her the courage to come out. I especially enjoyed the opening where she is walking on a desolate road to her car. That scene expresses the loneliness and isolation she must feel.
    Next scene is she putting on eye liner and talks about her album and gender changing. The close up shot leaves it up to the viewer …is she really a girl or a guy?
    The next shot that adds to the story is when she narrates how music brings people together and there is a shot of some eccentric people in the park listening to her music, in fact she comments saying that there are many strange people. Next there is an audience shot of non eccentric people listening to her music.
    This clip is different from the others we have critiqued. Narration rules the story and the clips fill in the blanks, which was done effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, it told her story very well. I felt like I was getting to know her and that I was being invited into her life for a moment. I liked that there was not a reporter/interviewer breaking the conversation through out her story.

    They made good use of letting b-roll aid her narration. It was inviting, but I think what would have made it more compelling is if they got her to open up about her gender ideas and sexuality.

    The focus on music told a good story, but I bet a lot of viewers had a nagging curiosity about the details of her gender and sexuality.

    Overall excellent 3 minute piece. It didn't feel like a teaser, but like a developed and concise story.

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This profile piece was very interesting and did bring you in through the natural feel of the feature. All of the music was the musicians and using it in the piece gave the feature a personal feel.

    The feature did a great job telling the story, but not giving away too much to make you want to see more. It covered the issue that the musician had and how they combated it to become successful and happy with what they do.

    The editing and shots were constructed very well with a more raw "youtube" feel.

    Overall interesting piece, which looks like a tease to an actual film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the piece was short but said a lot in the short time. The girl talking really put emphasis on the story with the background and visuals that were taking place. It was like she was painting a picture for us, which was great. It did invite me in because the visuals drew me into the story and made me seem like I was there. The music was great because it belonged to the artist also it was mellow and not too much for the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This clip was defintely intersting and the fact that they let the words of the subject tell the story was smart. I was thinking about doing something similar to this for my last project so this was a good piece to watch.

    Instead of letting a script read by a narrorator dictate the story, they let the person being profiled dictate the story but what they said. They broll they got, fit what the person was saying so that was nice too. I think this approach, gave the piece a more authentic feel, like you are actually talking to this person. Sometimes, narrarations seprate the viewer from what is going on. Allowing the person that is being profiled the opportunity to guide the story is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the subject of this piece is what brought me in. I don't know if I am so used to longer pieces or the voice of a journalist, but I felt like something was missing. The story flowed in regards to the journey of the artist and I wished I would have had more of the story.

    ReplyDelete